Veteran’s ID Card

As a courtesy to the courageous men and women that have served in the armed forces, the Morris County Clerk’s Office is proud to offer complementary ID cards to honorably discharged veterans. All that is required is one form of identification proving Morris County residency and the original or certified copy of the long form discharge document, such as the DD 214. We are unable to accept discharge certificates in place of the long form separation record. If there has been a legal name change from the name found on the discharge document, a certified copy of the legal name change document such as a marriage certificate or final judgment from the court, will be required. If the discharge document is already on file with our Registry Department, the original is not necessary. We will be happy to look up the record.

These cards not only provide an additional form of identification but also discounts at many businesses in Morris CountyCounty Veteran’s ID Cards are not designed to replace the federal Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) needed to access Veterans Affairs health benefits or other government programs.

If the original discharge document has been lost or damaged and is not already on file with us, you may obtain a certified copy by contacting the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO at or by calling 1-866-272-6272. For discharge records prior to 1954, visit

All original or certified copies of discharge papers that are not already on file with our Registry Department will be permanently recorded and returned to the veteran. All discharge documents filed with our office are considered confidential and can only be accessed by the veteran.

Veteran’s Vendor License

Honorably discharged veterans residing in Morris County may obtain a no-fee license to vend merchandise or solicit trade anywhere within the state. We just require one form of identification proving residency in the county and the original or certified copy of the DD 214 discharge papers.

For more information, please contact our Registry Department at 973-285-6130.


Helpful Links

Visit the Morris County Department of Human Services website for more information on services and resources offered to veterans.

New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs

Military OneSource is a confidential Department of Defense-funded program providing comprehensive information on every aspect of military life at no cost to active duty, Guard and Reserve Component members, and their families.