Getting a Passport

Get Your Passport at the Morris County Clerk’s Office

Recently brought my children for their passports! Great staff! Easy easy easy! We arrived at about 3pm on a Thursday afternoon no wait very pleasant experience. Thanks Morris County Clerk’s Office!
Charlene Kelly-Reddin

The Passport Department of the Morris County Clerk’s Office is an Acceptance Agency for the U.S. Department of State. We assist in the preparation of passport applications and the collection of all supporting documents. We offer an expedited service for those who may be traveling on short notice as well as extended hours on Tuesday evenings. For added convenience, we even offer passport photos for an additional fee.

Read our helpful brochure for more information.

The U.S. Department of State offers both passport books and passport cards. Learn about the differences.

Passport Book

Passport Book

Passport Card

Passport Card






Passport Application Requirements

First Time Applicants and In-Person Renewals


All first time applicants and those renewing a passport in person must complete form DS-11 using black ink only.


  • Applicants must appear in person.
  • Applicants 16 & 17 years old without a valid driver’s license must appear with a parent or legal guardian with proper ID. Parental consent is recommended for those with their own driver’s license.
  • First time applicants must have a certified birth certificate with a raised seal from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or Department of Health stating both parents’ names. If the parents’ names are not stated, you may obtain a new birth certificate from or by contacting the municipality or state where it was originally issued. A previously issued passport, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship or Consular Report of Birth Abroad is also acceptable.
  • One color, 2” x 2” regulation passport photo taken within the last 6 months.
  • Primary identification, such as a driver’s license or valid passport, is required. If you do not have primary identification, you must bring a witness who has known you for two or more years. The witness must present a valid driver’s license. The applicant must also provide two secondary forms of identification.
  • Social Security numbers are mandatory for all applicants.

Requirements for U.S. Birth Certificate

The U.S. Department of State requires that the full names of the applicant’s parents are listed on all original and certified copies of birth certificates in order to to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, regardless of age. You may obtain a new birth certificate from or by contacting the municipality or state where it was originally issued.

Please note: Birth certificates issued by the Secaucus, Jersey City or Hudson County Vital Statistics Departments are not acceptable. You may contact the New Jersey Department of Health for a new one.

In addition, Birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of citizenship:

  • Full name of the applicant
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Full names of applicant’s parents
  • Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority
  • Registrar’s signature
  • The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year of the date of birth)

If you have a birth certificate that does not meet these requirements, you must obtain a new one or you will be required to submit secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship.

Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

If you cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, you must submit more than one form of secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship. Acceptable secondary evidence includes: delayed birth certificates, Letters of No Record, early public or private records and Birth Affidavits.

Early Records

If you were born in the United States and cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, you may submit a combination of early public and/or private records as evidence of your U.S. citizenship. Early records must be submitted with a birth record or Letter of No Record. Early records should show your name, date of birth, place of birth, and preferably be created within the first five years of your life. They are not acceptable when presented alone. Examples of early public records are:

  • Baptism certificate
  • Hospital birth certificate
  • U.S. Census record
  • Early school records
  • Family Bible records
  • Doctor’s records of post-natal care

Valid Forms of Identification

Primary Identification (acceptable alone):

  • Valid driver’s license
  • Undamaged valid U.S. Passport Book or Card
  • Certificate of Naturalization (with recognizable photo)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (with recognizable photo)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Government employee ID (Federal, State, County or Municipal)
  • Current valid foreign passport
  • Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

Please note: If you cannot provide any of these documents, you must present 2 forms of secondary ID and bring a witness who has known you for two or more years and has a valid primary ID.

Secondary Identification

  • State-issued non-driver ID
  • Social Security Card
  • Employee ID
  • Student ID
  • Expired driver’s license
  • Learner’s or temporary driver’s permit
  • Voter registration
  • Form DS-71, for an identifying witness (available at the Clerk’s Office)

If you have any further questions, please contact our Passport Department at 973-285-6161.


Children 15 years of age and younger must appear with both parents, who are properly identified, in order to execute the application.  The child’s original certified birth certificate must be submitted and must have been issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or the Department of Health. It must also include the names of both parents. A previously issued passport must also be submitted. (if available)

If only one parent can appear, the absent parent must complete a Parental Consent Form.

*The Parental Consent Form must be notarized and a copy the front and back of the absent parent’s identification used for the notarization must be submitted with the application.

If there is only one parent, one of the following must be submitted:

  • U.S. or foreign birth certificate, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad listing only one parent
  • Certified copy of the Adoption Decree listing only one parent
  • Certified copy of the Court Order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent with no restriction on travel
  • Court Order specifically permitting applying parent to travel with the child
  • Judicial Declaration of Incompetence of the non-applying parent
  • Death Certificate

If you have any further questions, please contact our Passport Department at 973-285-6161.

Renewal by Mail

Find out if you qualify for renewal by mail. (If you do not qualify, you must appear in person and fill out the DS-11 form.)

Fill out form DS-82 via online form or PDF and follow the instructions provided in order to submit it properly. You may also send our office a self-addressed and stamped envelope along with a letter requesting form DS-82 to:

Morris County Clerk
Passport Department
PO Box 315
Morristown, NJ 07963-0315